The Flying Kayak Open (FKO) is celebrating it’s second year in 2023 and returning to central Oregon’s Davis Lake. This lake features amazing scenery, lava flows, clear water, tall reeds, and big ol’ largemouth bass. Payouts have been boosted by our friends at Portland Fly Shop, and we’ll be giving away gear from Yakima, Onyx, YakAttack, and more.
This event follows OKBF Tour Event #4 on nearby Crane Prairie Reservoir on Saturday, August 12, 2023. You might want to fish that event as well, while you are in the area. Flies and fly rods are not required for the Crane event, but they are allowed.
Check out Brian O’Keefe fishing Davis Lake for Catch Magazine (video by Todd Moen), back in 2010, when it was still a well-guarded secret spot. Davis may not have as many giants as Brian landed 13 years ago, but the lake is still a great spot to find quality bass on the fly.
2023 Flying Kayak Open Payouts
5:00-5:15 AM – Physical Check-In: Lava Flow Campground and Launch
Anglers MUST check-in within this window. Failure to check-in on-time will result in disqualification. We recommend all anglers unload their gear before and during check-in. Kayaks and gear may be stored on the bank, or near the launch. Be sure to leave room for other people to use the ramp!
5:30 AM – Launch: Paddles
5:35 AM – Launch: Pedals
5:40 AM – Launch: Motors
6:00 AM – Lines In
6:08 AM – Sunrise
11:00 AM – Standings Offline
12:00 PM – Off the Water
1:30 PM – Upload Deadline
2:00 PM – Weigh-In & Awards Ceremony: Frontier Heritage Park
- Competitors must be present at weigh-in location by this time. Competitors who are not present by this time will be disqualified.
- Cell Service on Water: Poor
Cellular service may not be available on the water. It is the competitor’s responsibility to find service and upload their fish before the deadline.
- Launch Type: Shotgun Start
- Registration Ends: 08/11/2023 11:59 PM
Late registration is limited and subject to an additional $10 late registration fee
- Off-Limits Period Begins: No Off-Limits Period
- Practice Starts: 08/11/2023 6:07 AM
- Practice Ends: 08/11/2023 4:00 PM
- Identifier Code Released: 08/12/2023 10:00 PM
Physical Check-In Location:
- Lava Flow Campground and Launch
- Bring your Ketch boards
- Attendance is MANDATORY
- Lava Flow Campground and Launch
- No other launches are allowed.
- Frontier, Heritage Park
16405 1st Street, La Pine OR
- This is about 30-45 minutes drive from the lake, so be sure to give yourselves enough time to get there on-time, especially if you have no cell service on the lake.
- Attendance is MANDATORY for cash and gear prizes. If you need to leave early, contact the Tournament Director.
- 8 inch minimum length for each scoreable fish
- Fly fishing only! No other gear will be allowed. That means only fly rods and flies.
- Barbless hooks only! If your hooks have barbs, mash them down.
- No live bait, hard lures, or disposable soft plastics (plastisol). Flies only. If you have a question about a specific fly, contact the Tournament Director.
- Ketch bump boards are required. You can purchase one here on our website. Use coupon code davis for $8 off up until August 13. You can have the board shipped, or pick it up at the Captain’s Meeting on the morning of the event. We should have a couple extras to buy or borrow, first-come, first-served (no promises).
- Laminated KFNW identifier cards will be handed out at the Captain’s meeting, or you may print and use the KFNW Identifier card, or a KFNW Blue Fox Tin Tag. if you print your own, we recommend laminating it, using a TourneyTag sleeve, or a Ziploc bag to protect it. Attach it to your bump board with a rubber band or tether.
- No wade fishing. All fish must be caught, photographed, and released, while remaining inside the kayak.
- Electric motors are allowed, as long as they abide by KFNW rules.
- Standard rules can be found on our website: KFNW Rules Standard
Eligible Water Boundaries
- Main body of water.
- Odell Creek is out of bounds beginning at the boat ramp.
- Disconnected sloughs and ponds are out-of-bounds.
- Portaging is not permitted.
- Only public waters are allowed
- An overhead 360° light is required in low light conditions. A high-visibility flag, vest-type PFD, and sound signaling device (whistle) are required on the water at all times. Failure to utilize any of this safety equipment may result in disqualification.
- Waiver and Release of Liability Agreements
- KFNW Rules Standard
- Download and Print Identifiers
- Tournament Schedule
The OKBF Flying Kayak Open is presented by Portland Fly Shop.